Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chopped Off

March: 
Be Involved- "In this way we are like the various parts of a human body. Each part gets its meaning from the body as a whole, not the other way around.  The body we're talking about is Christ's body of chosen people. Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of his body. But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn't amount to much, would we? So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ's body..." Verses 4&5

Step One: Need Other People 

A bowl of half eaten popcorn sat on the coffee table amongst remotes and lemonade cups.  Tinker Bell credits stood frozen, hidden on the powerless TV.  In the darkness, a small hand touched me on my arm, and then it happened again.  It didn't seem intentional, as it played with my elbow, and then my wrist.

"Turn over, Mia." I grumbled, sleepily. 
I heard her breathing, she was so close. 
"Hold hands!" She whispered.

I twisted my body through the tangled sheets, and pushed away the toy giraffe that shared the same bed.  Then, I wrapped her small soft hand in mine, and we slept through the night. 

And at that moment, it didn't matter that the popcorn was left out.  It didn't matter that only a few miles away, her baby brother had just been diagnosed with type one diabetes.  It didn't matter that his family wept for his suffering, praying that God take it away.  What mattered was that Mia, snuggled with a beloved giraffe and her Lala, was loved. 

And though I comforted her through a dark night, she comforted me in my fear.  How amazing a relationship with a three year old can be, and how debilitating pride can be. 

I know I'm late this month, and I didn't close out February.  But, I'm ready for March.  The goal this month is to be involved.  It's about unity, being connected instead of isolated.  It's about needing to hold hands with a three year old as much as she needs it. It's about realizing you can't do it on your own.

"But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn't amount to much, would we?" 

No comments: