Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The First Mile

April: 
Be a Child of God- "Let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't." Verse 6



Step One: I ain't scared.  
Step Two: Quit Comparing. 
Step Three: Be Real.  
Step Four: Keep the Faith.  



I hate the first mile. 


 Lungs burning, heaving up and down, forcing air into my body.  Before the sweat breaks through, cooling the aching fire in my legs.  Each echoing step pounds into the ground heavily, and my bones scream out in protest. 


Then, the doubt creeps in. Why am I doing this? 


The first mile is an eternity of turmoil and angst-- an argument between my brain, heart and body.  A love triangle, if you will.  


The civil war continues until slowly, electricity surges through my muscles, my lungs soar with oxygen, and my brain celebrates victoriously. 


 Finally, the second mile is here! 


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1 


 Last weekend I ran the Blue Bell 10K, and it was all I could do to peel my eyes off of everyone else.  Who was before me? Who was behind me? I hope and pray I'm not at the end!! 


Isn't this life, though? Who looks better than I do? Who do I look better than? Who is a better Christian than I am? Who am I better than? 


And then, like the first mile, doubt creeps in.  Do I really want to run this race? 


Quit comparing. Run the race marked for US.  BE a child of God.  



1 comment:

Nicole said...

you should have told me this parallel while we were running...it would have taken my mind off the aching ...and burning...
:)