Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Unwind

It's 11:30 and I've been up since before five. It seems that in the days prior to school, my body has forgotten how to sleep, while Hurley dreams/talks in his sleep-- go figure.

I spend a lot of night time reading lately, and I just finished a very thought-provoking book.

Ever wondered who was right? Should abortion be legal? Is it murder? Where do the rights lie?

Unwind, by Neal Shusterman, brings this idea to life-or unwinding. The book is set in the future, after the second civil war- over reproductive rights. The country has split in two -- pro life, pro choice. In the end of the war, a decision is made that no abortion should take place until the child is of an age of reason. Thirteen. From the ages of 13-18 a child may be unwound without their permission. Their parents sign an order that requires their bodies to be harvested and given to those in need. The story unfolds from many perspectives, mainly three teenagers running away from being unwound, who you instantly adore. The adventure, humor, and suspense made me keep reading, even when I had no business being awake!

This book is well written and unique. I wonder what history books will paint this time as, 100 years from now?

No comments: