Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sink or Swim, I'm Divin In

January: 
Focus on God  - "Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." Verse 2.

 Step one: Listen to better music.
 Step two: Look for Him.
 Step three: Be a Tiger Christian  

Tonight on the drive home I heard an old Steven Curtis Chapman song that made quite a bit of sense in relation to my goal of the Roman's 12 Project: to present my life as an offering to God. And, in light of step one for this month, the chorus goes like this: 
"I'm divin' in, I'm goin' deep
In over my head I wanna be
Caught in the rush, lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go
The river's deep, the river's wide
The river's water is alive
So sink or swim, I'm divin' in"

 On Thursdays a group of us gets together to eat and discuss topics intended to help us grow.  Tonight's topic was on Christian Fatigue, and the argument was made that if being a Christian wears you out, maybe it's not really a lifestyle for you, and instead, a chore.  Because a chore is not something you invest in, and a lifestyle is.  

So, you can see why Steven Curtis Chapman got me thinkin.  And if not, don't worry. I'm about to clear it all up.  
The last two lines in the chorus are key.  "The river's water is alive, so sink or swim, I'm divin' in."   I think we all know the river's water is alive.  We've got a little something in being a Christian for ourselves-- eternal salvation.  Can you see the bumper stickers? Avoid Damnation- Get Jesus!  Ticket to Heaven- Get Jesus!  

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing. It is, in fact, quite a nice little perk.  

But, there's more, "So sink or swim, I'm divin in."  Well, we all know God rules. He's the Superman/Dumbledore/Captain Planet/Michael Jordan winner of all time. Why would we ever consider sinking?  

But, I wonder, how many Christians would there be if sinking or swimming was an uncertainty?  Maybe we are victims to Christian Fatigue because we really weren't all that invested in the first place.  Maybe if we loved God, got invested in a sort of "Sink or swim, I'm divin in" kind of way, being a Christian would be more of a lifestyle, and less of a chore. 


No comments: