Saturday, January 29, 2011

Until the Whole World Hears

January: 
Focus on God  - "Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." Verse 2.

 Step one: Listen to better music.
 Step two: Look for Him.
 Step three: Be a Tiger Christian 
 Step four: Talk About Him 

Is it just me, or is there some sort of stigma with talking about God? Sometimes it seems like under the church house roof, we talk freely about Him, but once we step back into the "world", we somehow become hushed.  Saying that I have done research is perhaps a stretch, but I educated myself using Google, and I learned that we say about 20,000 words a day. You might consider the fact that I'm a teacher and a woman, and well, let's just add a zero to that number for myself.  

Of those 20,000(0) words a day, I don't know that I even say 10 about God. Why is that? I'd venture to say that whatever we are talking about is where our attention is.  We talk about others, the weather, movies, books, ourselves... and somehow, we leave Him out.  I think that in order to fix my attention on God, as Roman 12:2 says, I am going to have to start talking about God more.  

To be fair, this requires a few things: bravery, transparency, and faith.  Satan is out there ready to threaten security and laugh in the face of believers. I think, though, that if I wish to be changed from the inside out, I've got to do whatever it takes. World, get ready. I'm ready to tell you what God's doing in my life.  

Great lyrics to a Casting Crowns song: 

"Ready yourselves
Ready yourselves
Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
Ready yourselves
Ready yourselves
May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise
Until the whole world hears Lord we are calling out
Lifting up Your name for all to hear the sound
Like voices in the wilderness we're crying out
As the day draws near
We'll sing until the whole world hears
Lord let your sleeping giant arise
Catch the demons by surprise
Holy nation sanctified
Let this be our battle cry"

1 comment:

pickmeg said...

I love "because I am a teacher and a woman - add a zero to that"