Wednesday, February 9, 2011

All That And A Bag Of Chips... And Some Dip

February: 
Give Thanks- "I'm speaking to you out of deep gratitude for all that God has given me, and especially as I have responsibilities in relation to you. Living then, as every one of you does, in pure grace, it's important that you not misinterpret yourselves as people who are bringing this goodness to God. No, God brings it all to you. The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him." Verse 3.

Step One: Tell Him Thanks.
Step Two: Thank Others. 
Step Three: Get Over Yourself.  


"The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him." 


Mistake #1-  Trying to make a fire last week and breathing in smoke, even though your body said to stop.
Mistake #2- Shopping in Wal-Mart, and deciding not to buy more creamer. 
Mistake #3-  I coughed all night because of the darn smoke, I'll just push snooze twice.
Mistake #4-  Who can drink coffee without creamer? I'll just use a gift card and run through Starbucks. 
Mistake #5- Oops. You have a parent conference this morning. Way to be late. 
Mistake #6- Now your coffee is cold, because you had to make up for lost time talking. 


Somehow, after that, it was a downhill slope full of mistakes.  And when I mess up, I mess up big.  I ended up apologizing ten different times--at least-- and to all different people! Some of them were honest mistakes, and some of them were simply impulsive.  A day later, I reflect on some of those actions and wonder to myself, "What were you thinkin?" 


It's kind of funny how many self-help books there are out there. In fact, there is a whole section in the book store! Why is it so hard for people to know themselves? Why do we need to see therapists and have someone else explain it? It would seem that knowing yourself would be an easy thing, but strangely, we struggle with it.


While I don't pretend to know the answers, I do think about the latter part of this month's verse.  "The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us."  It serves as a reminder to me that a) I am not good, b) God is good, and c) God "does" for me.  The good in me is from Him. 


Mistakes are frustrating.  But, mistakes usually happen when I am trying to control something that I shouldn't.  Mistakes happen when I think I know what I'm talkin about.  Today, I'm thankful for mistakes and their ability to humble me.  Step three for this month's goal: Get over yourself.  A little humbling never hurt anyone, and maybe my mantra for this month should be, "I am not all that and a bag of chips. I am not all that and a bag of chips. I am not all that and a bag of chips."


But know who is?  God. Lyrics to praise with: 


"Blessed be Your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name
Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name
And blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name
You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord blessed be Your name"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I sooooo relate to this.

I picked you for an award! Come check it out at http://lifeuncontainable.blogspot.com/2011/02/its-major-award-stylish-blogger-awards.html