Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To All My Hedwigs

February: 
Give Thanks- "I'm speaking to you out of deep gratitude for all that God has given me, and especially as I have responsibilities in relation to you. Living then, as every one of you does, in pure grace, it's important that you not misinterpret yourselves as people who are bringing this goodness to God. No, God brings it all to you. The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him." Verse 3.

Step One: Tell Him Thanks.
Step Two: Thank Others.  


The hallways buzzed with noisy children, disobeying the rules posted here and there.  I scribbled in folders, passed out homework, answered 5 questions, and made sure everyone had a coat-- all in about three minutes.  I have a student teacher right now, and at the end of the day today she said, "I don't know how you remember all of the things you have to do."   You and me both, sister.  

This got me thinking about my every day.  I wake up at 5:00, make coffee, pack my lunch, read my bible, play some games... Then, it's time to get ready for school, take Hurley out, clean the kitchen and get to school.  Then, let's say another 500 things happen at school. After school I work out, pay bills, take care of church and family things... this leads me to the conclusion that people are BUSY! I don't even have kids or a husband, and I feel like there's a heck of a lot happening.


I think if you live this life, day after day, checking things off of a needless checklist, you are eventually going to crack.  I kind of think this is why many divorces happen, or midlife crises.  Sometimes we get so busy, that it annoys us when others are in our way, and somehow, we just lose it.  I think of how easy it is for me to rattle off several emails right in a row and avoid actually talking to anyone.  Check. Check. Check.  For some reason, I don't pencil in "real people time". 

How sad would it be to go through life, keeping up with that endless checklist, and never stretch outside of it?  Or worse, never have anyone notice? There are many people who have done much for my life, going out of their everyday check list, investing in me.  I am using February's focus as a way to thank God for those in my life and to thank the people who have made a difference.  

God has given goodness to His people.  I truly believe that He uses us for the good of his Kingdom.  Many blessings of mine arrive via someone else -- like Hedwig  in Harry Potter, who brought Harry his mail, faithfully, until the end.  So, to all of my Hedwigs from God, this month is for YOU! :) 

No comments: