Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vicks: 1, Mucus: 0.

February: 
Give Thanks- "I'm speaking to you out of deep gratitude for all that God has given me, and especially as I have responsibilities in relation to you. Living then, as every one of you does, in pure grace, it's important that you not misinterpret yourselves as people who are bringing this goodness to God. No, God brings it all to you. The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him." Verse 3.

Step One: Tell Him Thanks.
Step Two: Thank Others. 
Step Three: Get Over Yourself. 


The hacking continues as my body angrily throws a tantrum in response to that ridiculous smoke episode last week.  Between coughs, it seems as though a mouse (we'll call him Mucus) squeaks in my chest.  A week ago, I proudly ran 2.6 miles (I know this via May My Run), and felt beyond fantastic. Endorphins are great when you don't keel over at the end. Tonight, however, I simply walked upstairs and was out of breath (Granted, it could have been from the giant Hershey kiss I smothered with peanut butter and ate, but that's a different story.) 


I find myself amazed at the power of Vicks vapor rub. No, seriously. Either it does it's job well, or I have some sort of addiction.  Those cool vapors saunter up through my nose and kick butt in my chest.  Vicks: 1, Mucus: 0. 


You know, you never really think about how healthy you are until you aren't.  I haven't had a cough in three years, despite it's frequent visits when I was a child who had asthma (and lived in a corn field, but whatever).  Tonight, though, I'm thankful for my health, squeaky cough, or not.  I am very healthy, and even when I'm not at my best, someone invented Vicks vapor rub to come to my rescue.

There are those who do not have health on their side.  In my prayers right now are two:  First, little baby Kynian, born at 24 weeks, just contracted Influenza A.  And second, sweet Laura, battling uterine cancer.  I pray for their healing, strength, and patience as doctors work to help them. 


Our bodies are complex and amazing things, and our God is an awesome God.  He's like Vicks, but for every illness.  Say a prayer tonight for those you know struggling in their health. 

"Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power and love
Our God is an awesome God"

No comments: